This recipe is one of my favorites for weekday (or weekend) visitors. It’s easy to prepare and holds well in a crockpot. You can make it ahead of time or serve immediately. Simply set out some hamburger buns and let your guests or family serve themselves when the time is right – this is especially why I love this recipe!
My husband travels frequently for work, and we often host company on the weekends. Because I like to abide by somewhat of a schedule (it’s the Type A in me!), I like to – at a minimum – know that food is ready especially when the agenda is “fluid”.
Having this turkey sloppy joe recipe prepared in advance and ready for my guests allows me to have some peace of mind and enjoy my company versus fretting in the kitchen – plus the clean up is minimal!
Another added bonus is this healthier spin on the traditional sloppy joe is both kid and adult friendly!
Sweet & Spicy Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 2 Tbsp oil divided
- 3 bell peppers diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 Tbsp ground mustard
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add diced bell peppers and onion. Cook until translucent yet firm, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Using same pan, heat remaining 1 Tbsp of oil and brown ground turkey.
- While turkey is cooking, add remaining ingredients to slow cooker (tomato paste through Worcestershire sauce); mix well.
- Once turkey is cooked through, add to slow cooker and cook on low until ready to serve. Serve with whole wheat buns.